Heading to a professional tanning salon is the perfect way to get a bronzed look for your summertime festivals and events. However, before you go all in and book your appointment, there are a few spray tanning tips you should keep in mind!
What should you do before a spray tan?
- DO: Exfoliate before your tan. This is especially important if you have dry skin since a spray tan will only make your skin drier. Scrubbing with a gentle, non-abrasive exfoliator before your tan will help to remove any dead cells, which will, in turn, reduce the appearance of tan lines and wrinkles.
- DO: Shave before your appointment. This will help avoid any irritation or redness on your skin.
- DO: Wear loose-fitting clothes to your appointment. Wear clothing that will not bind or restrict your movement.
- DO: Have an idea of the look you’re after
What should you not do before a spray tan?
Before heading for a spray tan, there are a few things you should do and avoid:
- DON’T: Go without knowing what the final product will look like! A spray tan is not a one-time event – it’s an ongoing commitment. You need to be consistent with your application technique and tanning lotion to achieve the best results.
- DON’T: Wear makeup, deodorant, or lotions to your appointment. Make sure to avoid wearing makeup, deodorant, or lotions to your appointment. This will only make the process more difficult and will result in an orange skin tone.
- DON’T: Get stressed about stripping off. Your beautician will leave the room as you undress before your spray tan. Getting your kit off in front of a stranger may sound intimidating and it’s one of the most common concerns when it comes to spray tans. Take some time to relax before your appointment.
What should you not do after a spray tan?
- DON’T: Shower or bath for at least 8 hours after your spray tan. Showering or bathing for at least 8 hours after your spray tan will help to reduce the risk of skin irritation. If you experience any symptoms such as redness, swelling, itching, or pain, please contact your doctor immediately. These symptoms could be a sign that you have developed an allergic reaction to the spray tanning solution or the tanning equipment.
- DON’T: Use products that will strip your tan. These products can leave you with an uneven tone and skin that is dry and irritated.
- DO: Keep your skin hydrated. Make sure you use moisturiser immediately after your spray tan session to keep your skin hydrated and healthy.